Who we are:
The Central/East/South European Cinemas Scholarly Interest Group was formed in 2005 during the SCMS annual conference in London, and during the immediate aftermath of the first wave of European Union admissions. The group serves as a forum for scholars researching and theorizing cinema and media from the historically
marginalized and traditionally understudied regions of "the other Europe”: Central Europe, the "former East Block,” the South-Eastern Europe, and Turkey. Given that the collapse of communism in Europe, and the subsequent unification of Europe, has left film and
media scholars of the regions without definitive geopolitical, national, and ideological frameworks to position their scholarship, our aim is to discover new models and modes for researching and theorizing film and media from these regions.
View members' group page >
What we do:
The CESEC SIG provides fellowship, support and advocacy for the group members, while finding ways in which the scholarship of the region can create essential dialogue with larger debates within global film, television, and media studies.
Some of our key concerns are:
- Represent concerns of the group at business meeting with the Board of Directors.
- Collect and maintain resources for the members on the group website; and keep the members informed of the ongoing research, publications, and events related to group’s field of study.
- Sponsor panels, screenings, events, and organize special sessions at annual SCMS conferences.
- Coordinate mentorship and networking opportunities.
- Identify ongoing research and overlapping concerns with other SIGs and caucuses.
Join Now >
- Bring together established and emerging scholars to establish a sense of community and mentorship within The Central/East/South European Cinemas SIG.
Lilla Toke: email@example.com
Aga Skrodzka: firstname.lastname@example.org
| Scholarly Interest Groups
| Graduate Student Organization
| Request Funding