The Anne Friedberg Innovative Scholarship Award recognizes the best new scholarly work that exemplifies rigorous, interdisciplinary and theoretical inquiry into issues of vision and visuality. Funded by a generous gift from her estate, the Anne Friedberg Award recognizes innovative work that expands the discipline of film and media studies, emphasizing its relationship to other visual fields, including architecture, art history, and digital media. Believing that "how the world is framed may be as important as what is contained within that frame,” Friedberg was known for her intellectually agile examination of the increasingly visual nature of contemporary culture and its representation on a gamut of screens: at movie theaters, on televisions and computers, on iPhones, BlackBerrys and other hand-held devices. The author of two books on these subjects, Window Shopping: Cinema and the Postmodern (1994) and The Virtual Window: From Alberti to Microsoft (2006), Anne Friedberg was President-Elect of the Society for Cinema and Media Studies before her untimely death in 2009.
Note: Please make sure the author(s) are SCMS members before completing the submission form below. It is the publisher's responsibility (not that of the home office) to verify membership for the September 1, 2015-August 31, 2016 membership year. If author(s) are not members, their books or media projects will not be considered. We appreciate your compliance with this rule.
- Nominees must be a full members (not temporary members) of the Society for the new 2015-2016 membership year.
- To be eligible books or media projects must be written in or translated into English and published between August 1, 2014 and July 31, 2015.
- First books are eligible, but no book may compete for more than one SCMS award.
- Entrants must complete the submission form by August 3, 2015 at 5pm (CT).
- THREE copies of the book or media project must be received by August 4, 2015 5pm (CT). Books received after this date will be returned-No exceptions!
- Upon receipt of the three books the SCMS office will verify the eligibility of the entry and verify membership before distributing copies to the committee members.
- The SCMS office will inform the official winner and all entrants.
- The chair of the committee will announce the winner of the award, read the committee citation, and present the winner with a certificate and a check for $1000 at the annual conference.
- Entrants should not expect the return of their books; these books will serve as a reward for committee members.
- Failure to follow procedures will result in disqualification.
Please mail book submissions to:
Society for Cinema and Media Studies
Support this Award/Donate Now >
Anne Friedberg Award
640 Parrington Oval
Old Science Hall, Room 300
Norman, Oklahoma 73019