The Anne Friedberg Innovative Scholarship Award recognizes the best new scholarly work that exemplifies rigorous, interdisciplinary and theoretical inquiry into issues of vision and visuality. Funded by a generous gift from her estate, the Anne Friedberg Award recognizes innovative work that expands the discipline of film and media studies, emphasizing its relationship to other visual fields, including architecture, art history, and digital media. Believing that "how the world is framed may be as important as what is contained within that frame,” Friedberg was known for her intellectually agile examination of the increasingly visual nature of contemporary culture and its representation on a gamut of screens: at movie theaters, on televisions and computers, on iPhones, BlackBerrys and other hand-held devices. The author of two books on these subjects, Window Shopping: Cinema and the Postmodern (1994) and The Virtual Window: From Alberti to Microsoft (2006), Anne Friedberg was President-Elect of the Society for Cinema and Media Studies before her untimely death in 2009.
- To be eligible books or media projects must be written in or translated into English and published between August 1, 2012 and July 31, 2013.
- First books are eligible, but no book may compete for more than one SCMS award.
- Entrants must complete the submission form by August 1, 2013 at 5pm (CT). Four copies of the book or media project must be received by August 2, 2013 at 5pm (CT).
- Nominees must be a full member (not temporary member) of the Society for the upcoming 2013-2014 membership year.
- Upon receipt of the four books the SCMS office will verify the eligibility of the entry and verify membership before distributing copies to the committee members.
- The SCMS office will inform the official winner and all entrants.
- The chair of the committee will announce the winner of the award, read the committee citation, and present the winner with a certificate and a check for $1000 at the annual conference.
- Entrants should not expect the return of their books; these books will serve as a reward for committee members.
- Failure to follow procedures will result in disqualification.
Please mail book submissions to:
Society for Cinema and Media Studies Support this Award/Donate Now >
Anne Friedberg Award
640 Parrington Oval Old Science Hall, Room 300
Norman, Oklahoma 73019