SCMS recognizes that a considerable amount of media studies scholarship is published in anthologies. These awards will recognize respectively, an outstanding collection of media studies scholarship, and an outstanding single essay published in a collection.
Acknowledging the importance of the work of editors of multi-authored collections to our field, the SCMS Best Edited Collection Award recognizes the best edited collection published during the previous year. This award intends to further the goals of the Society by honoring an outstanding example of newly edited work involving the insights of an editor or co-editor in bringing together the best work of multiple scholars in a single volume. This award is also meant to encourage new scholarship that reflects upon the traditions of collaboration and diverse perspectives in our field.
For Best Edited Collection Award:
- Edited volumes must be written in or translated into English, edited by a single editor or multiple editors, and published between August 1, 2012 and July 31, 2013.
- An editor or co-editor may submit only one book for consideration in each year.
- First editions only are eligible for this award.
- The SCMS Best Edited Collection is meant to recognize the work of editors and of new scholarship by multiple scholars in a single edited volume in which the assembled essays reflect sustained and varied engagement with the book’s core theme; hence, textbooks and multiple editions of an edited anthology are ineligible for this award.
- Special editions of journals with guest editors are not eligible for this award.
For Best Essay in an Edited Collection:
- Essays must be written in or translated into English, and appear in a single or multiply-edited volume published between August 1, 2012 and July 31, 2013.
- Previously published essays or essays in special issues of journals are not eligible for this award. Although reprinted essays are excluded from consideration, an essay published for the first time in a subsequent anthology edition is eligible.
- Authors may self-nominate; individuals may make only one nomination.
- The author(s)/editors(s) must be a full member (not a temporary member) of the Society for the 2013-2014 membership year to apply for these awards.
- Entrants must complete the Best Edited Collection submission form or Best Essay in Edited Collection submission form by August 1, 2013 at 5pm (CT).
- Essays should be saved in PDF format and attached to the online essay award application. Four copies of the eligible edited books must be received by August 2, 2013 at 5pm (CT).
- The SCMS office will verify the eligibility of the entry and verify membership before distributing copies to the committee members.
- The SCMS office will inform the official winner and all entrants.
- The chairs of the committees will announce the winners of the awards, read the committees’ citations, and present each winner with a certificate and a check at the annual conference. The Best Edited Collection has a cash prize of $1000, and the Best Essay in an Edited Collection has a $500 prize.
- Book entrants should not expect the return of their edited books; these books will serve as a reward for committee members.
- Failure to follow procedures will result in disqualification.
Please mail book submissions to:
Society for Cinema and Media Studies Support this Award/Donate Now >
Best Edited Collection Award
640 Parrington Oval Old Science Hall, Room 300
Norman, Oklahoma 73019