The Best First Book Award offers a cash prize in recognition of the best first book published in the field of film and media studies.
Note: Please make sure the author(s) are SCMS members before completing the submission form below. It is the publisher's responsibility (not that of the home office) to verify membership for the September 1, 2015-August 31, 2016 membership year. If author(s) are not members, their books will not be considered. We appreciate your compliance with this rule.
- Nominees must be a full members (not temporary members) of the Society for the new 2015-2016 membership year.
- To be eligible, books must be single-authored books written in or translated into English and published between August 1, 2014 and July 31, 2015.
- Nominated titles must be the first book written by the entrant and must have a minimum length of 75,000 words.
- Republished volumes, edited collections, and multi-authored works or books previously published in another language are not eligible. Monographs or books published within a series are not eligible.
- Books submitted for this award are not eligible for other SCMS book awards.
- Entrants must complete the submission form by August 3, 2015 5pm (CT).
- THREE copies of the book must be received by August 4, 2015 5pm (CT). Books received after this date will be returned--No exceptions!
- Upon receipt of the three books the SCMS office will verify the eligibility of the entry and membership before distributing copies to the committee members.
- The SCMS office will inform the official winner and all entrants.
- The chair of the committee will announce the winner of the award, read the committee citation, and present the winner with a certificate and a check for $1000 at the annual conference.
- Entrants should not expect the return of their books; these books will serve as a reward for committee members.
- Failure to follow procedures will result in disqualification.
Please mail book submissions to:
Society for Cinema and Media Studies
Support this Award/Donate Now >
Best First Book Award
640 Parrington Oval Old Science Hall, Room 300
Norman, Oklahoma 73019