The Best First Book Award offers a cash prize in recognition of the best first book published in the field of film and media studies.
- To be eligible, books must be single-authored books written in or translated into English and published between August 1, 2012 and July 31, 2013.
- Nominated titles must be the first book written by the entrant and must have a minimum length of 75,000 words.
- Republished volumes, edited collections, and multi-authored works or books previously published in another language are not eligible. Monographs or books published within a series are not eligible.
- Books submitted for this award are not eligible for other SCMS book awards.
- Applicants must be a full member (not a temporary member) of the Society for the 2013-2014 membership year to apply for this award.
- Entrants must complete the submission form by August 1, 2013 at 5pm (CT).
- Four copies of the books must be received by August 2, 2013 at 5pm (CT).
- The SCMS office will verify the eligibility of the entry and membership before distributing copies to the committee members.
- The SCMS office will inform the official winner and all entrants.
- The chair of the committee will announce the winner of the award, read the committee citation, and present the winner with a certificate and a check for $1000 at the annual conference.
- Entrants should not expect the return of their books; these books will serve as a reward for committee members.
- Failure to follow procedures will result in disqualification.
Please mail book submissions to:
Society for Cinema and Media Studies Support this Award/Donate Now >
Best First Book Award
640 Parrington Oval Old Science Hall, Room 300
Norman, Oklahoma 73019