At the 2017 annual meeting of SCMS, two Katherine Singer Kovács awards for outstanding scholarship in cinema and media studies will be announced. One award of $1,500 will be given to the author of an outstanding book. Another award of $500 will be given for an outstanding essay (not exceeding 20,000 words). Certificates of citation will also be awarded to winners in both categories.
Books and articles must be published in English between August 1, 2015 and July 31, 2016. They should be original works that significantly advance scholarship and thinking in the field either by opening up new lines of inquiry or by consolidating existing ones at a high level of accomplishment.
Books previously submitted for consideration for the 2016 Kovacs Book Award are not eligible.
Publishers and journal editors will be invited to nominate books and essays, but individual SCMS members should feel free either to submit copies of books or articles directly or urge their publisher or editor to do so.
- To be eligible, books must be written in or translated into English and published between August 1, 2015 and July 31, 2016.
- Republished volumes and edited collections are not eligible.
Please mail book submissions to:
- Entrants must complete the Kovacs Book submission form or Kovacs Essay submission form (ONE nomination per submission form) containing the author’s name, e-mail address, title of the book/essay, name of publisher, publication date, a contact name and e-mail address for someone within the publishing company must be submitted online by August 1, 2016 (5pm CT).
- The essay should be saved in PDF format (not exceeding 30MB) and uploaded on the submission form. For best results we recommend using Firefox or Internet Explorer.
- If submitting a book, THREE copies of the book(s) must be received in the SCMS office by August 3, 2016 (5pm CT). Books received after this date will be returned--No exceptions!
- Upon receipt of the essay and books the SCMS office will verify the eligibility of the entry before distributing copies to the committee members.
- Failure to follow procedures will result in disqualification.
- A W-9 form is required for the Kovacs book award winner before the check will be disbursed.
Society for Cinema and Media Studies
Kovács Book Award
640 Parrington Oval
Old Science Hall, Room 300
Norman, Oklahoma 73019