The African/African American caucus represents the interest of the African and African American members of SCMS. As the area of media scholarship largely remains white and male dominated, the African/African American caucus formed to create a space for advocacy, community building, mentoring and academic networking for members from marginalized groups. This caucus sponsors workshops and panels that aim to increase our visibility both at conferences and within the field-at-large by promoting an anti-racist and color conscious agenda.
If you are an African, African American, or an ally in good standing, please visit the African/African American Group Page and join our organization.
The African/African American caucus provides fellowship, community building, mentoring, and academic networking for the Society’s members. It fulfills this mission by electing a chair and co-chair to serve the caucus’s needs for a two-year term. The caucus also publishes Screening Noir, a peer-reviewed biannual journal.
Key priorities for the African/African American caucus include the following:
- Presenting concerns of our membership through reports addressed during Society business meetings with the Board of Directors
- Maintaining a listserv, a Facebook group page, as well as a group page on the SCMS website that house valuable resources for the membership
- Sponsoring African/African American-oriented panels and workshops at the SCMS conference
- Coordinating mentorship and networking opportunities within and outside the caucus membership
- Identifying overlapping interests and concerns with other scholarly interest groups, caucuses, and committees
CONTACTS (Updated 4/6/15)
Samantha Sheppard, Co-Chair (Term: )
Jean Olivier Tchouaffe, Co-Chair (Term: )
TreaAndrea Russworm, Co-Chair (Term: )
Alfred Martin, Graduate Student Representative, (Term: )
Caucuses | Scholarly Interest Groups | Graduate Student Organization | Request Funding