Instructions for SCMS Panel and Workshop Chairs
1. Please keep panel presentations to 20 minutes and
workshop presentations to no more than 10 minutes. Panels with more than three
presentations will need to reduce presentation times to fit into the 105-minute
- When one panelist goes over time, other panelists or
workshop participants are deprived of a fair opportunity to present their
- Audience members are rightfully upset when there is no time to ask questions.
2. Papers should be no longer than 8 double-spaced pages
for a 20-minute talk, and fewer pages if there are clips. If your panelists
have more than this, ask them to cut down in advance.
3. We are finding that technology problems are cutting
into panel time. Please have the panelists check their tech (DVDs, laptops) in
4. Please check that all visuals and sound function before your session begins.
5. Chairs who are presenting should give their panelists
signals for 5 minutes left, 2 minutes left, and "please wrap up” at the
6. Chairs who are presenting papers should designate one
of the panelists to time their paper when they are presenting.
7. Please end your panel or workshop promptly at 15
minutes before the hour to allow participants and audience members enough time
to get to the next panel.
8. Paper author(s) must have registered and be present at the conference to give her/his paper. The paper cannot be delivered by another person and it cannot be presented via Skype.
The following equipment will be standard in all
panel/workshop rooms at the 2014 conference:
DVD Player (Region 1 - standard for USA & Canada)
LCD Projector (with audio)
Wireless Internet Access (you will need to obtain the password at registration)
• There will also be
complimentary high speed internet access in guestrooms for guests booked in the
group room block. You must book through The Sheraton Seattle and specify that
you are part of the SCMS Annual Conference.
Because the cost of equipping rooms with computers is
prohibitively expensive, we must ask you to bring your own laptop if you plan
to use projection. If you have an Apple computer, you will need to bring any
necessary adapters/connectors. Panels and workshops with multiple presentations
using projection are encouraged to coordinate before their session time to have
all presentations on a single computer or flash drive. Please Note: we have
made efforts to have multi-standard DVD players, but it is not cost feasible so
please make plans to convert your media if needed. Most multi-region DVDs can
be played from laptop computers, and thus projected like PowerPoint/Keynote
presentations. Please test any multi-standard DVDs before arriving at the
conference. Wireless internet access will be provided in the panel/workshop
rooms and conference space. Additionally, we will not be offering overhead
projectors, slide projectors, CD players and/or additional audio components.
If you have questions about AV or the Society’s audiovisual
policy, please contact Leslie LeMond, Conference Manager at <email@example.com>.
All requests for refunds MUST be e-mailed to the SCMS office at firstname.lastname@example.org and received no later than 5 PM CT, Friday, February 7, 2014. No cancellations by phone.
Conference registration refunds will be processed at 80% of the amount paid.