Instructions for SCMS Panel and Workshop Chairs
1. Paper author(s) must have registered and be present at the conference to give her/his paper. The paper cannot be delivered by another person and it cannot be presented via Skype.
2. Please keep panel presentations to 20 minutes and
workshop presentations to no more than 10 minutes. Panels with more than three
presentations will need to reduce presentation times to fit into the 105-minute
- When one panelist goes over time, other panelists or
workshop participants are deprived of a fair opportunity to present their
- Audience members are rightfully upset when there is no time to ask questions.
3. Papers should be no longer than 8 double-spaced pages
for a 20-minute talk, and fewer pages if there are clips. If your panelists
have more than this, ask them to cut down in advance.
4. We are finding that technology problems are cutting
into panel time. Please have the panelists check their tech (DVDs, laptops) in
5. Please check that all visuals and sound function before your session begins.
6. Chairs who are presenting should give their panelists
signals for 5 minutes left, 2 minutes left, and "please wrap up” at the
7. Chairs who are presenting papers should designate one
of the panelists to time their paper when they are presenting.
8. Please end your panel or workshop promptly at 15
minutes before the hour to allow participants and audience members enough time
to get to the next panel.
The following equipment will be standard in all panel/workshop rooms at the 2016 conference:
• DVD Player (Region 1- standard for USA & Canada)
• LCD Projector (with audio)
• Wireless Internet Access (you will need to obtain the password at registration)
There will also be complimentary high speed internet access in guestrooms for guests booked in the group room block. You must book through the Hilton Atlanta and specify that you are part of the SCMS Annual conference.
Because the cost of equipping rooms with computers is prohibitively expensive, we must ask you to bring your own laptop if you plan to use projection. If you have an Apple computer, you will need to bring any necessary adapters/connectors. Panels and workshops with multiple presentations using projection are encouraged to coordinate before their session time to have all presentations on a single computer or flash drive. Please note: we have made efforts to have multi-standard DVD players, but it is not cost feasible so please make plans to convert your media if needed. Most multi-region DVDs can be played from laptop computers, and thus projected like PowerPoint/Keynote presentations. Please test any multi-standard DVDs before arriving at the conference. Wireless internet access will be provided in the panel/workshop rooms and conference space. Additionally, we will not be offering overhead projectors, slide projectors, CD players and/or additional audio components.
If you have questions about AV or the Society’s audiovisual policy, please contact Leslie LeMond, Conference Manager.
SCMS ACCESSIBILITY STATEMENT
The Society for Cinema & Media Studies is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education, and employment for individuals with disabilities. SCMS encourages persons with disabilities to participate in its programs and activities. If you need an accommodation or have questions about the physical access provided by the conference facility, please contact our conference manager/ADA coordinator in advance of your participation or visit. We will use our best efforts to honor reasonable disability accommodation requests. Please provide your accommodation request at least two weeks in advance of the conference to give us ample opportunity to work with the facility to address your concerns.
All cancellation notifications and requests for conference registration refunds must be submitted online by 5 PM CT, Friday, February 29, 2016. No cancellations by phone or email.
Conference registration refunds will be processed at 80% of the amount paid.
(Use this form if you need to cancel, but haven't registered and paid the registration fee)
(Use this form if you have registered, paid the registration fee and requesting an 80% refund)
Cancellation Refund Form