Who We Are
Female membership in SCMS is large, vibrant and varied. The Women’s Caucus holds as its mission to represent the concerns of women in our profession and to promote feminist and gender-oriented panels, papers, and workshops at SCMS conferences, as well as the work of women scholars in areas of scholarship that remain male dominated. We recognize the need to support female scholars at every stage in their professional lives, including, but not limited to, undergraduate and graduate study, non-tenure track appointments, early tenure track and junior faculty jobs, associate levels, and senior positions.
View members' group page >
Our Activities & Accomplishments
We have deliberately fashioned the group in order to focus on mentorship, promotion, outreach, and fostering collaboration between Caucus members, as well as between our Caucus and those that represent minority voices within SCMS.
Goals and Objectives
- To serve as a resource for the diverse female membership of SCMS in order to facilitate member's teaching and research as well as their professional development within their scholarly areas, their departments and their institutions at all stages of their careers.
- To encourage communication and collaboration with other SCMS caucuses and special interest groups as well as with other professional orgainizations.
- To take on special projects such as specially designated panels, joint conferences, plenary participation, workshops and mentoring and peer support opportunities and to publicize these among the members of the Women's Caucus.
- To encourage emerging established scholars in the Women's Caucus to submit their work to Cinema Journal and other professional publications and to promote new scholarship by members.
- To further develop and maintain the Women's Caucus website so that it can serve as a resource portal for the membership.
The history of our Caucus shows a continued attention to women’s issues within our profession and our practice. Our mission, as defined in 1994, addresses our passion and commitment to the discipline, to our shared professional Society, and to the support and mentorship of women within these communities. "Our aim is to promote parity for women's intellectual and practical work in film, TV and video by working with other caucuses to advocate racial, ethnic, gender, sexual orientation and class equity in SCS [SCMS], in academia, and in the communities in which we live and work."
Join Now >
CONTACTS (Updated 4/7/15)
Vicki Callahan, Co-Chair (Term: 2014 - 2016)
Karen Ritzenhoff, Co-Chair (Term: 2015 - 2017)
Shelleen Greene, Co-Chair (Term: 2015-2017)
Alyxandra Vesey (Graduate Student Representative)
| Scholarly Interest Groups
| Graduate Student Organization
| Request Funding