Note: The SCMS membership year runs from September 1 - August 31 per calendar year regardless of when one joins.
NOTE: Membership payments received June 1 or after will be applied to the upcoming membership year. If you are not a member for the current membership year your membership will not start until September 1.
The Society for Cinema and Media Studies is a community of individuals and institutions actively engaged with the study of the moving image. SCMS is dedicated to encouraging and rewarding excellence in scholarship and writing, to facilitating and improving the teaching of media studies as a discipline, and to advancing multicultural awareness and interaction.
SCMS is an organization that works best with the support of its members, and we invite students, scholars and others interested in cinema and media to join our community as individual or institutional members.
Join Now >
Some Benefits of an SCMS Individual Membership:
Find out more about the benefits of an Individual Membership >
Some Benefits of an SCMS Institutional Membership
- Cinema Journal: Receive four issues of Cinema Journal per membership year
- Annual Conference: Engage with the leading scholars in the field at the SCMS annual conference held in locations across the U.S. and abroad
- Membership Database/Social Networking: Put yourself in in contact with colleagues, collaborators and mentors
- Career Center: Access the most up-to-date and specific job listings, and gain access to useful insight from established professionals about careers in cinema and media studies
- Caucuses and Scholarly Interest Groups: Locate existing or build new groups of SCMS members interested in specific aspects of media culture such as Television Studies and Sound Studies, or that support underrepresented members within the organization such as the Latino/a Caucus and Queer caucuses
- Membership Rates: All memberships are for one-year terms, and rates are determined by a sliding-scale of personal income and vary by location (due to differences in shipping costs of Cinema Journal)
Find out more about the benefits of an Institutional Membership >
- All Individual Membership Benefits: Get all the benefits listed above as well as the ability to send a member of your institution to the annual conference.
- Unlimited Job Postings: Make use of our Career Center to post an unlimited number of job advertisements for your institution
- Program Visibility: Become a featured part of our growing resource area for graduate and undergraduate students interested in the field of cinema and media studies.
out more about Membership Rates >
- Individual Membership Rates: Rates for individual memberships vary based upon personal income and location
- Institutional Membership Rates: Rates for Institutions vary based upon location
| Individual Membership
| Institutional Membership
| Membership Rates
| Membership FAQ