Instructions for SCMS Panel and Workshop Chairs
1. Paper author(s) must have registered and be present at the conference to give her/his paper. The paper cannot be delivered by another person and it cannot be presented via Skype.
2. Please keep panel presentations to 20 minutes and workshop presentations to ideally 5 and no more than 10 minutes. Panels should have 15 minutes available for discussion. Workshops should be primarily discussion or interactive, and thus speakers should limit their comments accordingly.
· When one panelist goes over time, other panelists or workshop participants are deprived of a fair opportunity to present their research/comments.
· Audience members are rightfully upset when there is no time to ask questions.
3. Papers should be no longer than 8 double-spaced pages for a 20-minute talk, and fewer pages if there are clips. If your panelists have more than this, ask them to cut down in advance.
4. We are finding that technology problems are cutting into panel time. Please have the panelists check their tech (DVDs, laptops) in advance.
5. Please check that all visuals and sound function before your session begins.
6. Chairs who are presenting should give their panelists signals for 5 minutes left, 2 minutes left, and "please wrap up” at the 20-minute mark.
7. Chairs who are presenting papers should designate one of the panelists to time their paper when they are presenting.
8. Please end your panel or workshop promptly at the designated end time to allow participants and audience members enough time to get to the next panel.
The following equipment will be standard in all panel/workshop rooms at the conference:
• LCD projector (and audio)
• VGA Cable (if you have a Mac, please make sure you bring an adapter—mini display port to VGA, thunderbolt to VGA, etc)
• Mini Audio Jack
• Power strip
• Wireless internet access (you will obtain the password at conference registration)
Because the cost of equipping rooms with computers is prohibitively expensive, we must ask you to bring your own laptop if you plan to use projection. In addition to your own laptop, please be sure to bring your power cord and any proprietary cords required for your computer. MAC users, please bring your own VGA Adapter. Wireless internet access will be provided in the panel/workshop rooms and conference space. We will not be offering computers, DVD players, overhead projectors, slide projectors, CD players and/or additional audio components. If you have questions about AV or the Society’s audiovisual policy, please contact our Conference Manager.
Panels and workshops with multiple presentations using projection are encouraged to coordinate before their session time to have all presentations on a single computer or flash drive. Designate one person's laptop for use during the session; load all presentations onto the laptop before the session; and test the presentation to make sure they will work with the software on the designated laptop.
We cannot accommodate changes or requests for AV equipment onsite. SCMS is not responsible for the safety and security of attendee computers.
Thank you for your cooperation.
SCMS ACCESSIBILITY STATEMENT
The Society for Cinema & Media Studies is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education, and employment for individuals with disabilities. SCMS encourages persons with disabilities to participate in its programs and activities. If you need an accommodation or have questions about the physical access provided by the conference facility, please contact our conference manager/ADA coordinator in advance of your participation or visit. We will use our best efforts to honor reasonable disability accommodation requests. Please provide your accommodation request at least three weeks in advance of the conference to give us ample opportunity to work with the facility to address your concerns.
All cancellation notifications and requests for conference registration refunds must be submitted online by 5 PM CT, Friday, February 29, 2016. No cancellations by phone or email.
Conference registration refunds will be processed at 80% of the amount paid.
(Use this form if you need to cancel, but haven't registered and paid the registration fee)
(Use this form if you have registered, paid the registration fee and requesting an 80% refund)
Cancellation Refund Form