Read more about and take part in the 2017 Chicago Soap Drive here.
SCMS incorporates environmental considerations throughout all stages of meeting planning in order to minimize the negative impact on the environment.
Reducing Our Environmental Impact
SCMS works to:
- Select hotels and suppliers with green policies and practices—this year specifically, the Fairmont Hotels & Resorts’ Green Partnership Program has been recognized by a number of international organizations including the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC), World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), Ad Age and Strategy magazines.
Fairmont Chicago has received the following certifications/ratings:
- Green Seal Bronze Certification
- Illinois Hotel & Lodging Association―"Stay Green" Program Member
- PLANET Environmental Improvement Distinction Award
- Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Environmental Hotel of the Year–Seedling Category
Other Green Initiatives put forth by the Fairmont Chicago can be read about here.
- Choose a venue with an in-house recycling program. Encourage recycling during the conference.
- Host our multi-session conference at a central location to limit transportation needs
- Minimize paper—online event registration with electronic follow-up. We also maximize opportunities to use electronic communication over paper as often as possible during the year (almost exclusively now)
- Utilize double-sided printing for collateral and meeting related materials if printing of official SCMS documents are necessary
- Select buffet style menus
- Encourage the practice of our members using projected presentations—greatly reducing the total amount of printed collateral at our conferences. We choose to provide more AV equipment than many other non-profit associations to encourage this and feel that our attendees benefit greatly from it.
- Utilize digital signage as well as print materials
- Have 100% on-line exhibitor kits as well as end-of-show take-back/recycling program
- …and more
- Flight offsets
- You might consider purchasing carbon offsets to compensate for the emissions produced during your travel to SCMS annual meetings. Non-profit organizations, like Carbonfund.org, give you an opportunity to give back to the environment through reforestation efforts, energy efficiency education, and sustainability projects.
- Local transportation options/walking maps
- The SCMS conference website includes information about local transportation and links to city-based transportation options. You can easily google downloadable maps of the area as well.
- Airport carpooling
- The SCMS website provides a list of local shuttle services and links to public transportation to/from the airport.
- Use the SCMS ground transportation forum page to post information about sharing shuttles and other transportation to the airport. You can find it here.
Once you have arrived at the conference, consider these greening options:
- Linen services
- Cleaning Products
- Contribute to the 2017 SCMS Soap Drive—if you use hotel amenities, donate what you don’t use (soap, bottles, etc.) to charitable organizations or recycle them. As an organization, we are collecting unused/unopened hotel soaps, shampoos, conditioners, and other toiletry items that families and homeless in need might find useful. Take your donations to the Registration Area) and look for the soap drive bin! More information about this initiative can be found at the top of this page.
- Utilize paperless check-in, checkout, and billing procedures to minimize use of paper.
- Reduce your electricity and water use in rooms
- Recycle your name badge and conference programs--Look for the bins in the Registration area to turn in your name badge and/or conference program for recycling.
Communication and publications:
- Bring fewer brochures/flyers
- Use word of mouth and social media to tell your friend/caucus/SIG members about activities, instead of bringing paper announcements