CFP The Business of Romance
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

7/14/2019 at 8:15:37 PM GMT
CFP The Business of Romance

I’d like to organize a panel that addresses the function of the romantic comedy genre in the film industry AND the representation of business/work in the romantic comedy genre. 

Topics include but are not limited to:

• The role the genre plays in Hollywood or other national film industries. E.g. what demographic does it attract and how does that shape its budget, casting, form and style? 
  • The industrial factors that contributed to its so-called demise in the early 2010s and its recent revival in theatrical and streaming platforms. How has it been re-shaped over the years to appeal to different demographics?
  • The industrial needs and constraints that shape the representation of gender, sexuality, marriage, and family in the genre. How has this changed from classical to contemporary era, or how does it compare across film industries?
  • The business of selling RomCom: what particular marketing strategies, tie-ins, product placements, costumes, set designs, etc. does the genre make possible or necessitate?
  • How do romantic comedies represent the “work/life balance,” especially with regard to changing role of women in the workforce. What jobs and or capabilities do films suggest are appropriate for women or men? What role should work play in relation to romance? Do female characters have to make choices about balancing work and romance that male characters do not?

Email me a description of your paper (about 100 words) and a short bio by August 2nd. If there is enough interest in the panel, I promise a quick response, and I would like final paper proposals no later than Aug. 20th. 

Jane M. Greene

Denison University, Dept. of Cinema

greenej@denison.edu

Contact Us

Society for Cinema and Media Studies
640 Parrington Oval
Wallace Old Science Hall, Room 300
Norman, OK 73019
(405) 325-8075 scms-office@ou.edu

Connect

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are used for visitor analysis, others are essential to making our site function properly and improve the user experience. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Click Accept to consent and dismiss this message or Deny to leave this website. Read our Privacy Statement for more.