Queer(ing) & Trans(lating) Cinema & Media Archives
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

7/15/2019 at 11:03:05 PM GMT
Queer(ing) & Trans(lating) Cinema & Media Archives

Hi! I'd like to propose a pre-constituted panel on the use of archives (be they relatively public or more private) and archival material, for LGBTQ+ media studies. I want to consider terms like "archives," "archival material" and "LGBTQ+ media" in broad and inclusive ways. Papers can include those that use archival research to enable LGBTQ+ readings of media texts, artists, censors, institutions, audiences and/or other social formations. They could also utilize archival information and materials in ways to revise, critique or challenge--that is, queer or trans(late)--media texts and institutions, or existing readings or perspectives. Papers could also relate and incorporate archival materials, research, theory and viewpoints into queer-ing and trans-lating existing critical, theoretical and historiographical paradigms. And of course they might also take a more speculative approach into the challenges, merits or limitations of the "archive" for LGBTQ+ media studies, what it might mean to queer or to trans(late) an archive, or what might even constitute an LGBTQ+ media archive of cinema, TV, radio, video games, comics, or online/social media, and/or reviews, publicity, news, censorship, controversies or debates about such media.

Please email proposals not exceeding 2500 characters (including spaces), plus a biographical sketch not exceeding 500 characters and 4-5 bibliographical sources to me at David.Lugowski@mville.edu or lugowskid@mville.edu. Please do so before 11 p.m. EST on Thursday, August 8, 2019. I will let people know about accepted proposals on or before Tuesday, August 13 as per SCMS deadlines. I will try to respond to questions before the August 8 deadline (and after) but please note that I will be out of the country, with somewhat limited access to email, between July 25 and August 5. Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you!

--David Lugowski, Professor of English and Film/Media Studies, Manhattanville College

Contact Us

Society for Cinema and Media Studies
640 Parrington Oval
Wallace Old Science Hall, Room 300
Norman, OK 73019
(405) 325-8075 scms-office@ou.edu

Connect

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are used for visitor analysis, others are essential to making our site function properly and improve the user experience. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Click Accept to consent and dismiss this message or Deny to leave this website. Read our Privacy Statement for more.