Submissions open July 1, 2020, and the deadline for submissions is July 30, 2020, 5:00PM CT.
Please click here to access the submission portal.
SCMS recognizes that a considerable amount of media studies scholarship is published in anthologies. These awards will recognize respectively, an outstanding collection of media studies scholarship, and an outstanding single essay published in a collection.
Acknowledging the importance of the work of editors of multi-authored collections to our field, the SCMS Best Edited Collection Award recognizes the best edited collection published during the previous year. This award intends to further the goals of the Society by honoring an outstanding example of newly-edited scholarship (first editions only) that involve the insights of an editor or co-editor in bringing together the best work of multiple scholars in a single volume. This award is also meant to encourage new scholarship that reflects upon the traditions of collaboration and diverse perspectives in our field.
For Best Edited Collection Award:
- Edited volumes must be edited by a single editor or multiple editors, and published between August 1, 2019 and July 31, 2020.
- An editor or co-editor may submit only one book for consideration in each year.
- First editions only are eligible for this award.
- The SCMS Best Edited Collection is meant to recognize the work of editors and of new scholarship by multiple scholars in a single edited volume in which the assembled essays reflect sustained and varied engagement with the book’s core theme; hence, textbooks and multiple editions of an edited anthology are ineligible for this award.
- Special editions of journals with guest editors are not eligible for this award.
- Editors and authors may self-nominate.
For Best Essay in an Edited Collection:
- Essays must appear in a single or multiply-edited volume published between August 1, 2019 and July 31, 2020.
- Previously published essays or essays in special issues of journals are not eligible for this award. Although reprinted essays are excluded from consideration, an essay published for the first time in a subsequent anthology edition is eligible.
- Authors may self-nominate.
- Entrants must complete the Best Edited Collection submission form or Best Essay in Edited Collection submission form by July 30, 2020, 5:00PM CT.
- Essays should be saved in PDF format (not exceeding 30MB) and attached to the online essay award application.
- FIVE copies of the eligible edited books must be received by August 3, 2020, 5:00PM CT. Books received after this date will not be accepted - No exceptions!
Note: This year, due to the pandemic and limited access to the home office, we are asking you to prioritize submitting e-books if at all possible. Thanks!
- The SCMS office will inform the official winner and all entrants.
- The chairs of the committees will announce the winners of the awards, read the committees’ citations, and present each winner with a certificate and a check at the annual conference. The Best Edited Collection has a cash prize of $1000, and the Best Essay in an Edited Collection has a $500 prize.
- Book entrants should not expect the return of their edited books; these books will serve as a reward for committee members.
- Failure to follow procedures will result in disqualification.
- A W-9 form is required for the Best Edited Collection award winner before the check will be disbursed.
Please mail book submissions to:
Support this Award/Donate Now >
1110 W. Main Street, PMB 34
Norman, OK 73069