Submissions open July 1, 2019, and the deadline for submissions is July 30, 2019, 5:00PM CT.
Please click here to access the submission portal.
At the 2019 SCMS Annual Conference, two Katherine Singer Kovács awards for outstanding scholarship in cinema and media studies will be announced. One award of $1,500 will be given to the author of an outstanding book. Another award of $500 will be given for an outstanding essay (not exceeding 20,000 words). Certificates of citation will also be awarded to winners in both categories.
Books and articles must be published in English between August 1, 2018 and July 31, 2019. They should be original works that significantly advance scholarship and thinking in the field either by opening up new lines of inquiry or by consolidating existing ones at a high level of accomplishment.
Books previously submitted for consideration for the Kovács Book Award are not eligible. No book may compete for more than one SCMS award.
Publishers and journal editors will be invited to nominate books and essays, but individual SCMS members should feel free either to submit copies of books or articles directly or urge their publisher or editor to do so.
- To be eligible, books must be published between August 1, 2018 and July 31, 2019.
- Republished volumes and edited collections are not eligible.
- Entrants must complete the Kovács Book submission form or Kovács Essay submission form (ONE nomination per submission form) containing the author’s name, e-mail address, title of the book/essay, name of publisher, publication date, a contact name and e-mail address for someone within the publishing company must be submitted online by July 30, 2019 (5:00 PM CT).
- The essay should be saved in PDF format (not exceeding 30MB) and uploaded on the submission form.
- If submitting a book, THREE copies of the book(s) must be received in the SCMS office by August 2, 2019 (5:00 PM CT). Books received after this date will be returned -- No exceptions!
- Failure to follow procedures will result in disqualification.
- A W-9 form is required for the Kovács Book Award winner before the check will be disbursed.
Please mail book submissions to:
Society for Cinema and Media Studies
Kovács Book Award
640 Parrington Oval
Old Science Hall, Room 300
Norman, Oklahoma 73019