JCMS: The Journal of Cinema and Media Studies is published by University of Texas Press and is always interested in exciting new work in the fields of cinema and media studies. To
submit a manuscript for consideration please read the following guidelines and proceed to our submission portal at Submittable.com.
- To be considered for review, manuscripts should be at least 8,000 words long and no longer than 12,000 words. Word count includes endnotes.
- Submissions must include an abstract of approximately 100 words and approximately six key words or terms (such as African Cinema, audience, Adorno) that will help us to ensure they are reviewed by an expert in the appropriate area.
- Submissions should follow the format specified by the Chicago Manual of Style (17th Edition). All bibliographic information should be in endnotes, and submissions should not include an additional bibliography.
View the JCMS Style Guide for more specific guidelines.
JCMS receives a high volume of submissions, and each submission that meets our minimum requirements is sent out for expert, anonymous peer review. Because accepted articles are published in the order in which they are submitted, we cannot accommodate requests to accelerate publication for job market or promotion cases. However, the editors are happy to write a letter for authors affirming that the article is accepted and is in queue or in press.
For more information about JCMS’s editorial procedures, please see the JCMS editorial wiki.
- Once a piece is accepted, it is sent to the author for revisions, and scheduled for publication according to the date when it was submitted. When the scheduled date approaches, three members of the editorial team edit the article, send it back to the author for final revisions, review
review the final revisions, and send it for typesetting.
- Frame enlargements or other illustrative materials must be supplied by authors, who are responsible for obtaining permission to publish them in cases where Fair Use does not apply. Illustrations should be a minimum of 1,500 pixels wide or tall (or at least 3-4 inches when saved at 300dpi) and have a minimum resolution of 250-300 dpi. Uncompressed TIFF files are best, but other common formats are also acceptable. Do not save your images with compression.
- JCMS ONLY accepts electronic submissions. If for some reason you cannot submit electronically, please contact the editor directly. Please note that JCMS does NOT accept manuscripts in PDF format.
- JCMS does not accept simultaneous submissions.
For questions regarding manuscripts submitted to JCMS for review, please consult the information in the JCMS editorial wiki.