The SCMS Board of Directors annually offers travel grants and registration fee waivers to encourage graduate students and underemployed/adjunct faculty who are on the annual conference program to attend. These awards are selected by lottery. All applicants for general student travel grants who do not receive a travel award are automatically entered into a lottery to receive a registration fee waiver. All diversity travel grant applicants who do not receive either a travel grant or registration waiver are entered into the lottery for the general student travel grants.
In 2018, SCMS received 256 applications for available Travel Grants. We strongly encourage more applicants across each category of award and encourage the membership at-large to continue to support the Travel Award Fund so as to provide as many grants as possible for this year’s and future conferences.
Annually, SCMS awards:
- 12 Student travel grants of $550.00. All applicants for the general student travel grants who do not receive a travel award will automatically be entered in a lottery to receive a registration waiver (last year, 9 fee waivers were granted in this category).
- 2 travel grants of $550.00 and 1 registration fee waiver in each of the following categories represented by an SCMS Caucus (African/African American, Latino/a, Asian/Pacific American, Middle Eastern, and Queer), and Native American/Indigenous peoples.
- 4 additional travel grants of $550.00 and 1 registration fee waiver to promote diversity are granted from a pool of all remaining Caucus and Native American/Indigenous peoples applicants.
The number of grants annually awarded to Underemployed/Adjunct faculty are based on available resources in the Travel Grant Fund. Applicants for these awards must meet all eligibility requirements for student travel grants (other than student status) and must make less than $35,000 a year.
Eligibility Requirements for Travel Grant Applicants:
- If you received a travel grant for last year’s conference and had your travel expenses reimbursed by SCMS, you are not eligible for a travel grant this year
- If you received a conference registration fee waiver for last year’s conference you are not eligible for a registration waiver this year.
- For Graduate Students: You must be enrolled in a graduate program at the time you apply for a student travel grant and at the time of the conference.
- You must be a full member of SCMS in order to apply for the waivers or grants.
- You must be presenting a paper, or chairing or participating in a panel, workshop, or roundtable at this year’s conference in order to apply.
- You must be traveling at least 200 miles to attend this year’s conference.
- Applicants for diversity grants and waivers must meet all of the above requirements except the requirement to travel over 200 miles to attend the conference.
- Students applying for diversity grants and waivers must be members of the under-represented groups represented by the Caucuses or Native American/Indigenous peoples.
Once you have received word of your acceptance to the conference this fall, please plan to apply for a Travel Grant! All applications are due on or before Friday, December 21, at 5:00 p.m. Central Time.
All applicants will be notified of their status by mid-January.
If you receive a conference registration waiver, you must still register and pay the conference registration fee before the deadline or your name, affiliation, and title of paper will not appear in the final printed conference program.
All travel grant checks and conference registration refund checks will be available for pick-up at the registration desk when you pick-up your name badge and conference program.
Click here to access the 2019 Travel Grant/Waivers Form.
Annual Conference | Upcoming Conference | Travel Info | Waivers/Travel Grants | Registration
Exhibitors | Advertising | Sponsorship | Past Conferences | Conference FAQ